Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Week 6 -- Day 3 -- Baby's First Prenatal Visit

We had our first doctor's visit today! (I'm VERY tired right now, so if my typing and writing is sub-par, I apologize.) The doctor was reassuring when it came to our concerns about the pregnancy and happily informed us that once the baby's heart is beating (which it is!) that the chance of miscarriage drops to 5%. I was THRILLED to hear that. I have these recurring worries about miscarriage...now I can finally rest. After much "baby" talk involving genetic testing, what to eat, safe medications, vitamins, exercise, vaccines and morning sickness, she announced that she wanted to take a look at the little sea monkey via ultrasound. Kent and I were ecstatic! This was a huge surprise to us. From what I had understood, she was only going to listen to the baby's heart, and it was too early for them to have a reason to do the ultrasound. I guess every doctor is different. Boy, I was telling Kent that out of all the research I've done on various topics, I've never researched one so controversial as how to have a healthy and safe pregnancy. There are contradictions on EVERYTHING! One Web site tells you not to eat this, another says it's okay in moderation, another says it's fine altogether -- I finally decided to stick with what the AMA and reputable sources say. Everyone else can kiss my ass. :)
When we arrived in the ultrasound room everything felt surreal once again. That little machine with the blank black screen was sitting there waiting to be used. I felt like I was in a movie scene. You know, the couple goes to the doctor who squirts cold jelly on the woman's tummy and then the baby appears in the classic position and Mom and Pop cry tears of joy, the doctor giggles and all is peachy keen. Our experience was similar only no tears appeared, just huge smiles and laughs. It took the doctor a little longer than I expected to find the baby. She commented that I probably wasn't as far along as she initially thought. For a split second I was terrified that I had miscarried, and she would never find a baby. Finally, in what seemed like hours, the tiny bean popped up! We could see the heart beat nice and steady and strong! It was going at what seemed like 1000 bpm. I thought that pin-sized heart was going to pop out of it's teeny tiny chest. All we could see was my uterus (which is rapidly expanding) and the little baby's heart and head -- two white dots with the heart much larger than the head at this point. Or so I think it was the heart spot that was bigger. I was afraid to move because I didn't want her to lose site of the baby with the ultrasound wand, so I didn't see her (the little duck) wiggling around like my husband said she was. That's a Quackenbush for you! All heart and full of energy. The doc printed out a picture of the baby for us (baby's first photo) and I plan to frame it and put it next to our bed. It's currently hanging on the fridge -- baby's first piece of art too. I can only say that the pregnancy feels much more real now. I saw the heart -- the first sign of life -- and with that, I know that I must do everything in my power to keep that heart strong and content. Although I was disappointed that I wasn't as far along as I thought -- I'm only 6 weeks and 3 days and the due date is now March 30, 2010 instead of March 22 -- I'm just full of relief that the baby is doing great for now. I can only pray that I continue to have a healthy pregnancy and that my little duck is well and happy.
I felt sick to my stomach most of the day today. I'm going to hit the hay early and try and stomach a strawberry popsicle and then some Sleepytime tea. My father-in-law jinxed me! I told him over the phone the other day that my nausea wasn't bad at all and he said, "Well, you're still early in your pregnancy. You have time." I laughed and thought to myself, "Thanks a lot Quack!" I guess he was right! :( Ah well. Just another part of the miracle of life. :) Goodnight everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Well wishes from the East! Pop Ashcraft always sends his best and prays for all the "Quacks" in the world...
    Your mother-in-law, Jane, and I were very close when we were young. Therefore I have a affinity for the "Quacks" offspring!
    Please let me know what you may need for the baby's room. I will my do my best for you Miracle of Life.
    Love... Pop

    ReplyDelete